Rejection no reason for murder

Eighteen-year-old Emily Jane Hilscher was one of the first two victims killed by Cho. It was her rejection of Cho that made him go off.

By Sinclere Lee

BLACKSBURG, Virginia (BNW) –
Cho Seung-Hui, the 23-year-old South Korean Virginia Tech student who massacred 32 faculty and students and then took his own life at the university this week in the deadliest shooting spree in modern U.S. history was obsessed with the rejection that Emily Jane Hilscher showed him.

Was gunman crazed over Emily?

Eighteen-year-old Emily Jane Hilscher was one of the first two victims to be identified in the Virginia Tech massacre, along with 22-year-old Ryan Clark. We all have our theories about what happed… my theory is that Emily Jane rejected Cho and he couldn’t take the rejection and snapped.

A lot of people have problems with rejection but you got to take it in strive… “everybody doesn’t want you,” I guess that is a lesson Cho didn’t learn while at Virginia Tech. And as a result, a lot of innocent people paid with their lives.

The pair lived in the same dormitory on the same floor… in rooms 4040 and 4042 on the fourth floor of the West Ambler Johnston Hall dormitory where a gunman began the first of 33 campus shootings on Monday morning just after 7am.

This report has sparked heated debate online, with many US readers feeling it is insensitive to Emily. Some US readers suggested that one reason Emily Jane rejected Cho was because he had genital herpes on his mouth.

Gunman had past problems with police, mental health: police

Federal law enforcement authorities identified the gunman late last night as Cho Seung-Hui. He was described as being a 23-year-old South Korean male student who lived on campus, but no other details about him were released last night.

Witnesses to the shooting said that the gunman was involved in an argument with a girlfriend and had later stormed out of the dormitory building.

A counselor – believed to be Clark, who was also a resident adviser — was called to calm the situation at the dormitory. The gunman returned at 7.15am and shot Emily Jane and Clark. Media reported that Clark had been shot in the neck.

More than two hours later the murderer — armed with two hand guns — stalked the corridors and classrooms of a college building in another separate part of the campus for about 20 minutes, killing 30 more people.

A further 20 students were injured, either by gunfire or jumping out of the massacre building.

The gunman was wearing a vest holding ammunition, witnesses said. He carried a 9mm semi —automatic and a .22-calibre handgun, both with the serial numbers obliterated, according to federal law enforcement officials.

He turned his weapons on himself before police could arrest him.

Police decided against closing down the college after the first shootings occurred, believing the killer had left the scene and was "off campus".

Then, two hours later, gunshots erupted from a separate building about 6 miles from the scene of the first murders. Virginia Tech student Chen Chia-hao told Taiwan cable TV about the first shootings.

"They had a big quarrel in the West Ambler Johnston Hall and he shot her. Then the RA (dormitory supervisor) came, and he shot the RA," Chen said.

Witnesses told how the gunman calmly roamed the classrooms inside Norris Hall, a building housing a science and engineering school, firing his weapon as students and teachers vainly tried to flee.

Wearing a black leather coat and maroon hat, the gunman used chains to lock the doors to the building from the inside before beginning his killing spree.

Friends of Emily and Clark last night posted messages on Internet social-networking site "Facebook" and other blogs remembering her as a vibrant girl with an engaging personality.

"Emily was a wonderful person who always put a smile on my face," wrote friend Jessica Gould.

Clark – a prefect in the dormitory – was in his fifth year at Virginia Tech and a leader in the school's marching band.

"He was such a friendly person," said friend Sarah Davis, 21, a trombone player in the band.

"When I came in as a freshman I was scared to death. He was always really friendly. If he didn't know you, he'd introduce himself."

Columbia County Sheriff's Office in Georgia confirmed 22-year-old Clark from Georgia was one of the first shooting victims. Emily was confirmed dead by local law enforcement officials.

"You hear about people in other places mourning the loss of a child of great potential and great hope, and now we're the ones that have to bear that great loss," an official said last night.

"The Hilschers are strong people, and this is a strong community, and they'll have our support. The best we can hope for is a time of healing."

The list of the dead is known to include at least four staff members.

A message on the school's engineering department website paid tribute to two of the staff.

It read: "In Memoriam. Professor Kevin Granata and Professor Liviu Librescu who died on April 16, 2007 while serving Virginia Tech."

Professor Granata was killed while teaching his course in the Norris Hall building.

Professor Librescu, originally from Romania, was killed alongside Professor Granata.

A third instructor in the engineering department, Professor G.V. Loganathan, was also killed.

Stupid Bush addressed the nation in the hours after the shootings.

"Schools should be places of safety and sanctuary and learning. When that sanctuary is violated, the impact is felt in every American classroom and every American community," he said.

University police had confronted the gunman who went on a rampage at Virginia Tech in 2005 over complaints he was bothering women students and was sent to a mental health facility because of worries he was suicidal, police said on Wednesday.

The new details added to a chilling portrait of

Fellow students and teachers have described a troubled loner whose writings for his English degree were so laced with violence and disillusionment that they alarmed some of those around him.

University Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said his officers approached Cho in late 2005 when two women students complained of "annoying" phone calls and instant messages from him.

"I'm not saying they were threats; I'm saying they were annoying. That's the way the victims characterized them, as annoying messages," Flinchum told a news conference.

After the second incident Cho's roommate told police he "might be suicidal," prompting them to issue a "temporary detention order" and send him to a mental health facility for evaluation, Flinchum said.

Authorities would not say how long Cho was evaluated.

"We did not have any contact with him after December 2005 that I'm aware of at this time," Flinchum said.

Cho, who immigrated to the United States 15 years ago with his family and was raised in suburban Washington, D.C., chained doors closed to prevent escape and worked his way through classrooms, shooting his victims one by one. He later killed himself.

Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine said he would appoint W. Gerald Massengill, who headed the Virginia State Police during the September 11 attacks and the killing spree of a sniper pair in 2002, to head a panel to review the university's response to the shootings. The review had been requested by the university.

Neighbors, roommates and teachers described Cho as a withdrawn person who rarely spoke. Two students who said they were Cho's roommates said he had harassed several female students and once told them he wanted to kill himself, which prompted the roommates to report their concerns to the police.

Cho used two handguns, which police confirmed he had purchased legally, and stopped only to reload. Police have stopped short of saying he was responsible for the shooting deaths of two other people two hours earlier at a dormitory but said tests showed the same gun was used in both incidents.

Back to home page