VT officials may have caused the deaths of their faculty and students

By Sam Johns


BLACKSBURG Virginia (BNW) —
With the inept response to the shooting at Virginia Tech, the school's officials should be held criminally responsible for the deaths of its faculty and students. The question that everybody is asking... is why didn’t the administration close the campus down and cancel classes after the first shooting? University President, Charles Steger should be held personally responsible, and fired because he didn't use common sense and lock the campus down after the first shooting! Apparently, he's an educated fool.

Here you had a double murder on campus, and the killer is still on the loose. Where is the sense of urgency for the safety of the faculty and students? Not to close the campus down was the wrong decision by the administration and it cost people their lives. Consider this… at every decision point in the decision cycle of this situation, Virginia Tech officials made the wrong decision, and the school’s administration ended-up looking like inept idiots before the world.

Anger

Some students complained angrily that they had received no warning from the university until an e-mail more than two hours after the first incident.


Student Billy Bason, 18, said: "I think the university has blood on their hands because of their lack of action after the first incident."

But university president Charles Steger defended his staff, saying they "had no reason to suspect any other incident was going to occur".

Police said they had thought the first incident was isolated and "domestic" and that the gunman had left the campus. The head of public safety for Virginia, John Marshall, said university and police staff "made the right decisions based on the best information that they had available at the time".

Virginia Tech and police said they would not name the victims of the attacks until all had been identified, and their families informed.

However, some of the names of the victims emerged when their families or colleagues volunteered the information.

At least two of the dead were university professors. One was GV Loganathan, 51, an Indian-born lecturer in civil and environmental engineering, and another was Liviu Librescu, a Romanian-born Israeli expert on aeronau

While we are looking like inept idiots who are unable to protect ourselves from outside harm, al Qaeda is making mockery of US. The head of an al Qaeda-led group in Iraq said the country has become a "university of terrorism" producing highly qualified warriors since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.

Cho was a South Korean citizen who had lived in the United States since 1992, said U.S. immigration spokesman Chris Bentley. He and his family lived in Centreville, Virginia.

A note believed to have been written by Cho was found in his dorm room that railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus, the Chicago Tribune said.

The shooting spree renewed heated debate over gun control in the United States, where more than 30,000 people die from gunshot wounds every year and there are more guns in private hands than in any other country.

Even as condolences poured in from world leaders, foreign politicians and media commentators railed against America's "gun culture." In Italy, the leftist Il Manifesto newspaper said the shooting was "as American as apple pie."

STRICKEN CAMPUS

At Virginia Tech, 12 students remained hospitalized in stable condition on Tuesday, officials said. Some students were hurt jumping from windows in a desperate attempt to flee the gunfire.

The campus, where there are more than 25,000 full-time students, reeled with shock and grief.

"I don't even know if any of my friends were killed, because it was so hard to get in touch with anyone last night," said Brittany Jones, a 19-year-old Tech student from Urbanna, Virginia.

US university killer was S Korean

Police have named a student who shot dead at least 30 people at a US university as Cho Seung-hui, a 23-year-old from South Korea.

Another two people were killed at an earlier shooting at the university. Police have been investigating whether there were separate gunman.

The shootings were the worst such attack in US history.

A memorial service is to be held at the university, which President Bush and his wife Laura were expected to attend. The shootings on Monday occurred in two separate locations, two hours apart.

The shooter shot the door twice at chest level, which resulted in two holes in the door, one of which hit the podium in the front of the classroom

In an interview with ABC television, university president Charles Steger said the "possibility exists" that more than one gunman was involved.

"It appears that the second shooter was a resident in our dormitory... it appears he was an on-campus resident," he said.

Some students complained angrily that they had received no warning from the university until an e-mail more than two hours after the first incident

Student Billy Bason, 18, said: "I think the university has blood on their hands because of their lack of action after the first incident."

President Steger defended the university's actions after the initial shooting, saying: "We had no reason to suspect any other incident was going to occur.

"We can only make decisions based on the information you had at the time. You don't have hours to reflect on it."

He described the shootings as "two very tragic events" that "may or may not" be related.

"We just don't know at this point in time," he said.

Police said they had thought the first incident was isolated and "domestic" and that the gunman had left the campus.

They have still not said for sure that the two attacks were linked. They have confirmed that two handguns were recovered.

Erin Sheehan, a witness to the shooting in which 30 died, described the gunman as "a little bit under six-feet tall, young looking, Asian, dressed sort of strangely, almost like a boy scout, very short-sleeved light, tan shirt and some sort of ammo vest with black over it".

Back to home page