Southern racism driving Black men to do horrible crimes

By Sinclere Lee

Chattanooga (BNW) –
Another shoot-out at in another courthouse by another Black man in the Dirty South is a pattern of violence that is unacceptable to US all, but we can never forget that the stark racism in the criminal justice system in the dirty South is driving Black men to commit unspeakable crimes.

There is very little difference between Brain Nichols, who killed innocent people in the courthouse shooting in Atlanta, and George Hyatte who got his wife to help in him escape custody after killing a Tennessee cop.

If there is a common denominator that connects the two violent crimes, it is that, the criminal justice system in the South is so corrupt and racist that it is driving Black men to do desperate things.

Consider this; if you are a Black man in the Dirty South and comes into contact with the lily-white criminal justice system, you can expect to be treated guilty as charge, and the racist and illiterate cops in the South who do the arresting of Black men — they get the arrest-ball rolling — and what follows from the evil arrest are the racists and corrupt white judges, white DAs and white corrupt lawyers in the Dirty South who have exchanged their white sheets for, black robes, police uniforms and blue suits who look for any little thing, and through their arrest power take revenge against again Black men instead of seeking justice.

Explain this; why are all the prisons in the Dirty South populated with more than 60% Black inmates, when Black men only represent less than 7% of the general population. How can that be? if not for racism!

Something in the milk ani't clean, and is it a crime to rebell against an unjust system?!

Just a few years back, Tennessee authorities would have killed that Nigger on the spot, but fortunately a cab driver's tip led to the peaceful surrender of a married couple accused in a deadly Tennessee shoot out, police said Thursday. For example, in Roane County, Tennessee where the dirty deed happened, is where the last Black man in this country was executed for raping a white woman. Yes, executed for raping a white woman, who was later found out to be liar.

Police said Jennifer Forsyth Hyatte, 31, and George Hyatte, 34, gave up Wednesday at a Columbus, Ohio, motel, ending a regional manhunt for the suspected killer of a prison guard on Tuesday in Kingston, Tennessee.

Taxi driver Mike Wagers said he picked up the couple in suburban Cincinnati -- about 100 miles away -- and drove them to Columbus.

Kundan Desai, manager of America's Best Value Inn, said Wagers booked the couple a room using his own name and paying in cash.

Acting on Wagers' tip, U.S. Marshal John Bolen said investigators surrounded the motel and then a deputy marshal called the Hyatte's room.

"The deputy ... said ... 'You're surrounded, your attempts to escape have come to an end, there's nowhere to go and we want this to go peacefully,'" Bolen said.

Bolen said the couple -- who appeared relieved -- surrendered "almost instantaneously" after learning the motel was surrounded.

"There was a sense of actual relief, in my opinion," Bolen said. "I don't think they had slept much, and I think they realized that the time had come that basically they were going to be captured, and they were going to have to face justice," he said.

Police asked Jennifer Hyatte to lay the phone down, walk to the door and open it. "That's what she did ... almost instantaneously," Bolen said.

A federal court hearing for the Hyattes was first set for Thursday and then re-scheduled for Friday at 10 a.m.

The couple was expected to be extradited to Roane County, Tennessee, to face first-degree murder charges, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said.

Police said Jennifer Hyatte had suffered a gunshot wound to one of her legs in Tuesday's escape and was treated at a Columbus hospital and released to authorities.

George Hyatte, who police said escaped Tuesday while wearing handcuffs and leg irons, was no longer shackled when police arrested him at the motel, TBI Director Mark Gwyn said.

Before authorities converged on the Columbus motel, police had arrived at another motel outside Cincinnati in Erlanger, Kentucky, where the couple was thought to be staying.

"They had just left probably minutes prior to the entry to the rooms," Gwyn said.

Police searched the motel and confiscated a gold van that the couple was thought to have used to leave Kingston.

Cabbie's 'guard was down'

Wagers, 33, said he didn't realize he had picked up the fugitives until he was alerted to TV reports later that evening.

He said his suspicions weren't aroused by anything the couple said, except that they didn't try to aggressively recruit him after telling him they were Amway salespeople.

"You know, Amway people are all about Amway, and when they didn't -- when they didn't try any conversation further about it, that's when I pretty much thought, well, they're not with Amway," Wagers said.

Wagers said he picked the couple up around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, stopped at a gas station, and they paid him $200 in cash for the $185 fare.

"You know, I didn't feel uncomfortable," Wagers said. "I'd been paid. Really, my guard was really down."

During the ride, he said, he and his passengers "chitchatted about nonsensical things" and they told him they were from Virginia. They also explained that they were taking a cab to Columbus for an Amway conference because they had been involved in a car accident the day before.

Wagers said he didn't see any injuries on the woman, but she was limping a bit as she got out of the cab in Columbus.

He said he called local police around 8 p.m. and soon got calls from the U.S. Marshals Service and Columbus police. Marshals came to his home and interviewed him, he said, and he got a call from Columbus police a few hours later telling him the Hyattes had been arrested.

Hospitals alerted for 'Bonnie and Clyde'

Tennessee police were alerting hospitals Wednesday to be on the lookout for a married couple who may be seeking medical attention after a deadly courthouse escape.

"It was just a very brazen kind of 'Bonnie and Clyde'-type escape," said Mark Gwyn, director of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. "When people are desperate and they have nothing to lose, this is what happens."

On Tuesday, George C. Hyatte was on his way back to prison after a court appearance on a robbery charge. His wife, Jennifer Lyn Hyatte, drove up and fired at two corrections officers who were escorting him, Kingston Police Chief Jim Washam said.

As the officers prepared to put Hyatte, 34, into a waiting van, "a dark-colored SUV appeared behind the van," Washam said. "Mr. Hyatte hollered, 'Shoot 'em!'"

Jennifer Hyatte then "opened fire on the officers, hitting one in the abdomen," Washam said.

The guard died from gunshot wounds, officials said. Wayne Morgan, 56, was a 28-year corrections department veteran and a husband with two children.

The Hyattes drove off in the SUV, which police later found near the courthouse. The blue Ford Explorer had "a substantial amount of blood" on the driver's side, TBI agent Jim Moore said, and investigators believe that one or both of the Hyattes may be wounded.

"We do believe, at some point, either George or Jennifer Hyatte will have to receive some medical attention," said Gwyn. "That's why we have all hospitals throughout the state on alert that, if someone comes in fitting George or Jennifer Hyatte's description, please call the local authorities or the TBI."

George Hyatte, who was serving a 35-year prison sentence in neighboring Rhea County for aggravated assault and aggravated robbery, had escaped from county jails twice before, county and state officials said.

Through the news media, Regina Bishop begged her brother to turn himself in.

"George, wherever you're at, for God's sake, please, please call, please give it up before there'll be another tragic death," Bishop said. "It's not worth it, brother, it's just not worth it. So please just call us, please ... so this can be resolved."

Michael Hyatte said his brother had "made a lot of wrong choices in his life," and is "a nice, loving, easy-going guy."

"But he's scared," Michael Hyatte said. "You know, he does different when he gets scared. When I get scared, I break down and cry. When he gets scared he gets on the defensive, and he thinks he's got to tackle the world, you know, and that's a bad deal."

Police said the couple may be traveling in a late-model, gold Chevrolet Venture van with black trim that witnesses said had been parked overnight near the found SUV.

The couple may be en route to Hendersonville, Tennessee, where George Hyatte once lived, the TBI said. Hendersonville is about 120 miles from Kingston.

Police said George Hyatte is African-American, 5 feet 5 and 140 pounds with black hair, brown eyes and tattoos on his upper body.

Jennifer Hyatte, 31, is white, 5 feet 4 inches tall, 142 pounds, with red hair and hazel eyes, police said.

A former prison nurse, she met her husband in prison and was fired last August for having an inappropriate relationship with him, said Tennessee Department of Corrections spokesman Darrell Alley.

She was caught smuggling food from a restaurant into the prison, and acknowledged to prison officials that it was for George Hyatte, Alley said.

At the time, they were not married; she then called herself Jennifer Forsyth, Alley said.

Proper protocol was followed for handling a prisoner with his escape record, according to Amanda Sluss, a spokeswoman for the Tennessee Department of Corrections. Hyatte was accompanied by two armed officers and was wearing handcuffs, a waist chain and leg irons, she said.

Back to home page