Great Britain’s shoot-to-kill policy won’t work!

Police: Man shot in subway a Brazilian not tied to bombings

By Sinclere Lee

LONDON, England (BNW) –
Once known as a land of civility and gentility, Great Britain’s shoot-to-kill policy after the terrorist bombings in London is too draconian to work. Even in the face of terrorism, a shoot-to-kill policy won’t work, but will only end in a disaster for an innocent victim.

And, that is exactly what happened!

Cops in London said they regret the death of a Brazilian national shot and killed Friday by armed officers in a London Underground subway station, after determining he "was not connected" with last week's string of attempted bombings.

"For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets, but our shoot-to-kill policy will continue" according to a police statement released Saturday.

Police identified the man as 27-year-old Jean Charles de Menezes.

Hours after the shooting, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair told the lie that the shooting was "directly linked to the ongoing and expanding anti-terrorist operation."

A spokesman for the Brazilian Embassy said Foreign Minister Celso Amorim was arriving in London Sunday for a scheduled United Nations conference. Amorim has asked to meet with British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw or another high-level official to discuss the shooting.

Menezes emerged from a house in Tulse Hill Friday morning, which had been under surveillance as part of the investigation into the attempted bombings. He reportedly was wearing a heavy coat.

Officers followed him to the Stockwell Underground station. His "clothing and suspicious behavior at the station added to their suspicions," a police statement said. How can you justify killing an innocent man because of the way he dresses? Why, the cops in London are more ruthless than the racist cops in America.

He challenged police and refused to obey orders, before he was shot and killed in front of horrified commuters Friday morning, Blair said.

A cousin of Menezes, Alex Alves Pereira, said his family was upset and angry over the death, and he challenged police statements that he failed to obey orders, and jumped a ticket barrier.

Menezes, who had lived in Britain about four years, had a multiple-day pass, and had no reason to jump the barrier, Pereira said. He added that no amount of apologizing by police will bring his cousin back.

"When you do something wrong, you can't have nothing to say — to say sorry is not enough."

For years Londoners bragged about the city is so peaceful that the cops don’t carry guns; now, we know that’s been a big lie! Now only do they carry guns, but the terrorist got them so freaked-out that they are now shooting to kill innocent people.

London has been on a heightened state of alert since July 7, when four bombs placed on three subway trains and a double-decker bus killed 52 people and the four bombers.

In what appeared to be an attempt at a copycat attack two weeks later, four bombs were placed on three trains and a double-decker bus, but police said they only partially detonated. Only one person was wounded.

Police carried out an armed raid Saturday in south London, the latest in a series of sweeps across the city in connection with Thursday's failed bombing.

One man was taken into custody in Brixton after he approached a police barrier during the raid, authorities said. Police asked him his name, he responded, and police asked him to come under the tape barrier. Once he did, he was handcuffed. His connection to the probe, if any, was unclear.

Two men were arrested Friday in Stockwell, south London, for questioning. They have not been identified.

Police urge Londoners to help locate the four wanted men, whose images were captured Thursday on closed circuit television cameras near the bombing sites. The images were released by police Friday.

A police statement asked people to store the anti-terror hotline -- 0800 789 321 -- on their mobile phones, or dial 999 "if any member of the public knows where these men are now, or sees them."

"They should not be approached," the statement said.



Back to home page