Tiger and Elin on the run!

By Sam Johns

WINDERMERE, Florida (BNW) - Suspicion abounds about the Tiger Woods accident case. While Tiger is being coy about what happened, the rumor mill is fast at work. Someone said that the reason his wife, Elin, had his golf clubs on the scene is that she was after him with it, trying to kick his ass.

And, some say that Tiger was drunk, having taking to the bottle because of Elin's infidelity. I even heard that he was high on crack and ran out the house when he heard the bells and jumped into the car, then drove off. You know, that crack makes you do some crazy things!

Whatever the case, he and his wife Elin are on the run. … A modern day Bonnie and Clyde! Please. Please, someone tell Tiger and Elin that it ain't that serious and the police just want to talk. They cannot lock you down for just having wreck — Well, I don't think so!

Police Chief Daniel Saylor said two Windermere police officers were the first to arrive on the scene.

"There was Tiger Woods laying on the ground in front of the vehicle with his wife over him rendering first aid," he told reporters.

"He was in and out of consciousness with lacerations to his upper and lower lip," Saylor said. "He was mumbling but didn't say anything coherent."

Woods' wife, Elin Nordegren, told the police she was inside the house when she heard the accident. She said she went outside and used a golf club to break out the rear window of the vehicle, then pulled him from the SUV.

"According to the officers, yes, she was very upset," Saylor said in response to a question.

But, he added, "Things like this happen all the time ... I understand he's stable and he's fine."

About 10 minutes later, Orange County fire and rescue arrived and took him to Health Central Hospital, where he was treated and released, he said.

The crash remains under investigation and charges are pending, the police report said. It said the accident was not alcohol-related.

The Florida Highway Patrol says Tiger and his wife, Elin, are not available to be interviewed by state troopers and asked police to return Sunday to try to clear up questions about how he crashed his SUV into a neighbor's tree.

FHP says the announcement that Woods and his wife could not speak to police on Saturday came from his agent. Troopers previously visited Woods' home Friday afternoon to speak to him and were asked then to come back Saturday.

Woods smashed his Cadillac near his $2.4 million mansion at 2:25 a.m. Friday and was briefly hospitalized, police said. His lips were cut, and Windermere police chief Daniel Saylor has said Woods' wife used a golf club to smash out a back window and help Woods from the car.

State troopers arrived at the home of Tiger Woods on Saturday to interview the pro golfer and his wife about a car crash near his home, but were told the couple was not available to talk as scheduled, a spokeswoman for the Florida Highway Patrol said.

The troopers were asked by Woods' agent to postpone the interview until Sunday, spokeswoman Kim Miller said. Florida troopers who sought to interview golf great Tiger Woods at his home on Saturday about how his SUV struck a fire hydrant and a neighbor's tree were told by his agent to come back the following day.

"The Florida Highway Patrol has received information that Tiger Woods and his wife were not available to be interviewed ... as we had previously scheduled," Kim Montes, a sergeant with the FHP's Orlando division, said in a statement.

"This announcement came from his (Woods') agent. Troopers were asked to return tomorrow (Sunday)."

Woods, 33, the greatest golfer of his generation and one of the world's most recognizable figures, hit a fire hydrant and tree as he pulled his Cadillac Escalade out of the driveway of his house at around 2:25 a.m. EST on Friday, the highway patrol said.

He was treated at a nearby hospital with what police described as "serious injuries," but the golfer's management team said the accident was minor and Woods had been released from the hospital in good condition after being treated.

More than two-dozen media and nine television trucks were camped outside the guarded gates of the exclusive Isleworth community when the FHP entered for their fruitless bid to interview Woods on Saturday.

When police arrived at Woods' home shortly after the accident, the golfer was bleeding from the mouth and was "in and out of it for several minutes," Windermere Police Chief Daniel Saylor told reporters on Friday.

He "was on the ground, semi-unconscious and had lacerations to the upper and lower lips," Saylor said, adding that Woods' wife, Elin Nordegren, used a golf club to smash a window of his SUV to get him out.

Nordegren "explained to my officers that the doors were locked and she could not gain entry" into the crashed vehicle, so she "used a golf club" to smash a window, he said.

Woods, who has two young children with Nordegren, was the only passenger in the vehicle, Saylor said.

The accident was not alcohol-related, the FHP said. "The crash remains under investigation and charges are pending," it said.

Woods' office, in a statement published on his website, said: "He was admitted, treated and released today in good condition. We appreciate very much everyone's thoughts and well wishes."

Woods is scheduled to host his annual Chevron World Challenge tournament in Thousand Oaks, California, next week. It starts on Thursday and Woods was expected to hold a news conference on Tuesday.

Woods is perhaps the world's richest athlete and the biggest draw on the PGA tour as he chases Jack Nicklaus' record for victories in major tournaments and the unofficial title of best golfer ever. He has won 71 times on the PGA tour in a glittering career that includes 14 major wins.

State troopers had tried to speak to Woods on Friday as part of a routine car accident investigation, but his wife said he was sleeping, said Kim Miller, a spokeswoman for the Florida highway patrol.

Woods was treated and released from a hospital after suffering minor injuries in a car accident early Friday in his neighborhood in Windermere.

A joint statement from Woods' publicist and Health Central Hospital said Woods was in "good condition" after the accident outside his home.

The single-vehicle accident occurred about 2:25 a.m. in Windermere, a suburb of Orlando, according to police.

The SUV, which was drivable, was towed and state troopers didn't take pictures of the scene, she said.

Saylor said the vehicle's front end was damaged.

The 33-year-old golf phenomenon has won the Masters tournament and the PGA tournament each four times, and three U.S. Open Championships.

He was set to host and play the Chevron World Challenge on Monday at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California. Woods has won the tournament — which helps raise money for Tiger Woods Foundation programs — four times.

Woods has won six times on the PGA tour this year after returning from knee surgery.

In a post on his blog last month, Woods said he was "absolutely thrilled" about his play, adding, "This has been one of my most consistent years on the PGA tour."

Woods and his wife have two children, ages 2 and 10 months.

Back to home page